Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pussy Willow Dream

So this morning I woke up to seeing a pussy willow branch in my dreams! How exciting that was for me!!! I am seeing this as symbolizing powerful new beginnings, especially since we are in the Dark New Moon! The buds were plump, full and soft but not fully bloomed and fuzzy. They were so beautiful! I did some research on line and found very little about pussy willows symbolism. On a practical level pussy willows are THE harbinger of spring blooming even before the crocuses peep through the snow. Pussy willows as a flower language represent motherhood. They also represent prosperity to the Chinese. The willow, sacred to Hecate, became the pussy willow. I found the information below also online (click the link to go to the source found on Gaia.com) .

The associations are VERY interesting to me. Several of which that I find significant are that I am a Moonchild, whose birthstone is moon stone. My animals are Hawk and Owl (Owl just recently coming to me in a dream.) and the Goddesses associated with, in particular Persephone, Luna and Brigit.

We have had a particularly hard winter this year so lately I have been thinking a lot about Persephone's story lately. If you are not familiar with her story here it is:

Hades captured Persephone and brought her to the Underworld. Demeter, the Earth goddess was devestaed and perpetual winter fell upon the planet. Finally Zeus ruled that Hades had to set Persephone free, however not before he tricked her into eating six pomegrate seeds. It was a rule of the Fates that whoever consumed food or drink in the Underworld was doomed to spend eternity there. It was decided that Persephone would only spend part of her time as Queen of the Underworld, one month per seed. When Demeter and her daughter were reunited, spring and new life returned to the Earth. When they were separated, the Earth was cold and dissolute.

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Mythology/RM/PersephoneLeighton1.jpg

We just passed the time of Imbolc, which is associated with the goddess Brigit. I actually knew nothing of her story and so did a little reading up on her this past Imbolc. ( I like to be respectful and a least a bit knowledgeable of the Wiccan Wheel of the Year, considering a family member and many of my good friends are Wiccan. Not to worry they return the favor. °Ü°) Well, to my surprise I found a sweet connection to the lovely and powerful Flame Keeper. I lit a candle in honor of her story and meditated about being a flame keeper myself. As she is also a goddess of creativity, particularly poetry, healing and fertility I meditated on my own personal creativity and healing and being a healer. She is also associated with spring and her element is fire.

http://students.ou.edu/F/Valerie.S.Frost-1/brigid-li.jpg

Hecate is also worthy of mention on my thoughts since she too is associated with the pussy willow. Born of Gaia she is the goddess of the crossroads. I find it interesting that it is said of this goddess, "she is more at home on the fringe then in the center of Greek Polytheism." She has been associated with childbirth, nurturing the young, gates and walls, doorways, crossroads, magic, lunar lore, torches and dogs. Considering much of my income is earned from jobs that have to do with some of the aforementioned topics all this seems quite significant.



This dream, that has had me excited from the moment I opened my eyes, that I have spent so much time looking into, I believe is just more confirmation that I am going in the right direction, and I am beginning to live my dreams!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willow

Willows which by water stand
Ease us to the Summerland.


Salix alba

Tree of Enchantment, Tree of Witcheries
Fifth month of the Celtic Tree calendar,
April 15th - May 12th
Fifth consonant of the Ogham alphabet - Saille

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


There once was a Willow, and he was very old,
And all his leaves fell off from him, and left him in the cold;
But ere the rude winter could buffet him with snow,
There grew upon his hoary head a crop of mistletoe.
All wrinkled and furrowed was this old Willow's skin,
His taper finger trembled, and his arms were very thin;
Two round eyes and hollow, that stared but did not see;
And sprawling feet that never walked, had this most ancient tree.
~Julianna Horatia Ewing, "The Willow Man"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Planet: Moon
Element: Water
Symbolism: Resonance and Harmony
Stone: Moonstone
Birds: Hawk, Snowy Owl
Color: Silver
Deity: Persephone, Hecate, Cerridwen,
Artemis, Selene, Luna, Diana, Brigit
Sabbat: Beltane

Folk names: Osier, Pussy Willow, Saille, Salicyn Willow, Saugh Tree, White Willow, Witches Aspirin, Withe, Withy

Medicinal properties:
Willow bark contains salicin, or Salicylic acid, used to make aspirin. Infusions from the bark have long been used as a remedy for cholls, rheumatism, and fevers. Willow sap applied to the skin can remedy acne, and a strong decoction of boiling the bark and leaves in water can be rubbed into the scalp for dandruff.

Magickal properties:
New Moon magick, creativity, fertility, female rights of passage, inspiration, emotion, binding. Love, Love divination, protection, healing. Willow is also known as the tree of immortality because of its ability to re grow from a fallen branch in moist ground. A wand made from Willow wood has many uses: sleep with it and have more vivid dreams, use it to draw down the moon, protection for underworld journeying. Magickal Brooms, witch's brooms are traditionally bound with a willow's branch.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I am a willow of the wilderness,
Loving the wind that bent me."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

http://www.shortcourses.com/naturelog/pussywillow01.jpg

3 comments:

impurezion said...

Thank you! I had a pussy willow dream too, and this post helped a lot. It resonated with me on many levels.

impurezion said...

I just checked, tonight is a new moon. Love it

impurezion said...

I just checked, tonight is a new moon. Love it